As a natural food substance coconut oil is one of the most versatile and beneficial oils to have in your cupboard.
Benefits of coconut oil
For starters, coconut oil is 92% saturated fat, the good kind, and when digested it is absorbed directly into your body’s tissues converting quickly into energy. It also has antibacterial and anti-fungal properties which make it a powerful defense against disease, especially in the tropical countries where coconuts are grown.
1. It helps lower blood pressure. In one study of Polynesians, those consuming coconut oil as 9% of their fat intake had lowered their blood pressure compared to those who had only 7% fat intake.
2. It's good for your heart - Demographic indications are that countries whose populace consumes large amounts of coconut oil have very low incidence of coronary disease.
3. Coconut oil promotes normal brain development, and is less likely to cause weight gain than other polyunsaturated oils.
4. It contributes to stronger bones and is anti-carcinogenic. Most people—especially infants and children—benefit from these good fats in their diets.
5. Coconut oil helps reduce cholesterol, diabetes and lowers HDL (high density lipids) part of your cholesterol/triglyceride ratio affecting the heart.
6. Coconut oil greatly supports weight loss by raising body temperatures. It also increases metabolism in the body.
7. It eases osteoporosis in several ways: coconut oil increases bone volume and trabecular—sponge-like type of bone that is affected most with osteoporosis.
8. Good for bones - Coconut oil also helps absorption of calcium to benefit the bones.
9. Gut health - The essential fatty acids in coconut oil promote beneficial flora in your gut.
10. Hormone balance - When you use coconut oil while dieting it prevents depression of thyroid function that typically occurs.
11. Antioxidants in coconut oil are good protection against cancer. Skin Applications are also beneficial since coconut oil absorbs and reaches the tissues and the cells, so they can function better.
12. It’s a fantastic anti-aging moisturiser for the skin that also offers protection from environmental chemicals and free radical damage to your skin and tissues.
13. It helps with itching caused by eczema, bites, chicken pox, allergy reactions, or any other skin irritations.
14. Coconut oil also helps transmission of nerve impulses to the brain.
15. Helps balance thyroid and adrenal glands which lowers cortisol.